LDAP vs SQL

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I am a little confused, please be patient. The project title is ASP.NET Membership... although some comments in the documentation indicate that Users and Roles are managed in SQL; I assume using the SQL Membership Provider. Can this project be used with the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider and/or a custom extended LdapMembershipProvider as long as it extends the .Net MembershipProvider base class(s)?

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM

lawalker, This starter kit is for Sql Membership Provider with Forms Authentication. To answer your question, no it would not work with Active Directory or LDAP.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM

What do you believe the level of effort would be to port the application to use other .Net Membership Providers?

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I would also be interested in having this tool (or another like it) work on any ASP.NET membership provider.  I'd be willing to help with development.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:46 PM

lawalker, I'm looking into it. I think it is a good idea but not familiar with the particulars. I will post my findings.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:37 AM

I looked at the users-a-to-z control today.  Filling the list at page initialization is the only part that connects to SQL.  The remainder of the functionality on the page uses the built in membership classes.  I changed the data source for the grid to Membership.GetUsersByName( initialLetter ).  The documentation says that GetUsersByName should take SQL-esque filter criteria, but it doesn't look like it is. 

I see the database has some tables and stored procs that are specific to the configuration of the site.  These tables and procs could be seperated from the standard SQL asp.net provider tables and procs.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM
Edited Apr 30, 2010 at 8:43 PM

bidstrup, I'm not sure what your question is. Can you please clarify? The stored procedures are in place because of the gridview paging. They retrieve only the number of records specified on the page. If you don't use the stored procedures provided, the application retrieves all records, displays the number specified and then discards the rest. This would happen every time you click the next button. This is a problem when you have a large number of records. The stored procedures used ensure efficient paging of large records. I tried doing by caching the records but it didn't seem like a good direction to go. However, nothing is written in stone. You can modify the application anyway you like to match your specific requirements.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM

lawalker, Windows based membership/user management is entirely different from forms authentication and from what MyWSAT provides functionality wise. It would be possible to implement it as part of MyWSAT but would make very little sense since MyWSAT is a website starter kit and the intention wasn't to manage windows users.